Register for our upcoming graduate events here
The Master of Professional Kinesiology Program is the first master’s-level program of its kind in Ontario. Kinesiology is a newly regulated and evolving profession. This program offers students an opportunity to gain advanced knowledge and skills in this professional practice. Whether you are just beginning your career or are a Registered Kinesiologist, the MPK will provide you with the advanced knowledge and practice to take your career further.
The MPK program is a course-based graduate program in the professional practice of kinesiology. This full-time, 16-month program offers a mix of classroom, case-based, laboratory and experiential education. Graduates will acquire research-informed and multidisciplinary expertise in:
- Movement assessment and intervention in diverse practice areas
- Knowledge synthesis, translation and application
- Evaluation of clinical and program effectiveness
- Collaboration with interprofessional health-care teams
- Conceptualizing future kinesiology practice
The MPK provides unparalleled learning environments for hands-on practice, working alongside leading practitioners in downtown Toronto and across the GTA. You will have the opportunity to network and advance your expertise through 600 hours of professional, structured experience across three placements. The program offers practice opportunities with hospitals, clinics, sport institutes and community organizations.
Areas of Practice
- High Performance Sport: Promoting healthy high performance through assessment and movement adaptation with elite athletes
- Children & Youth: Advocating for and adapting physical activity programming to children and youth with diverse abilities
- Chronic Disease: Using physical activity and exercise to enhance health and wellness across the lifespan in persons with chronic disease
- Musculoskeletal & Concussion: Injury prevention and maintenance in and through movement to enable health and wellness across a range of populations (e.g. athletic, elderly, occupational)
State-of-the-Art Labs and Facilities
As part of Canada’s pre-eminent research university, the Department of Exercise Sciences offers access to state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment, including the Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport.
What is Professional Kinesiology?
As of April 1, 2013, new legislation in Ontario recognizes Kinesiology as a regulated health care profession. The College of Kinesiologists of Ontario (CKO) is the regulatory body that governs the profession of Kinesiology in Ontario and receives its authority from the Kinesiology Act, 2007 and the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991. In Ontario, any individual using the titles “Kinesiologist”, “Registered Kinesiologist”, or the designation “R.Kin”, must be registered with the College.
The regulatory body, the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario (CKO), ensures kinesiologists maintain and enhance their skills and knowledge through established standards of practice, as well as their public accountability.
According to the Province of Ontario's Kinesiology Act 2007, the Scope of Practice of kinesiology is: the assessment of human movement and performance and its rehabilitation and management to maintain, rehabilitate or enhance movement and performance. 2007, c. 10, Sched. O, s. 3.