A fast-paced and strategic game, Badminton is one of the most popular racquet drop-in offerings.
Bring your A-game (or your B and C game) for a fun and energetic outing!
- Doubles games now allowed.
- Please note all Drop-In schedules are subject to change. Check the program registration page via links below for the most up to date schedule and available time slots
This program now requires registration to participate, please sign up in advance to reserve your time slot. Registration is FREE for incidental fee-paying students enrolled in winter courses at U of T.
Court Booking Update
Please be advised that as of August 19, 2023, there will be an adjustment to the court booking system to improve the user experience. The updated booking option will appear starting on August 19, 2023 to allow for 2-day advance booking of courts, with the first implementation of this booking system applying to bookings for August, 21, 2023. Please be advised that the old court booking system will still appear at this time but will be phased out by Monday, August 21, 2023.
The revised booking system will enable individuals to check availability between courts quickly and prevent individuals from booking more than one court per day as follows:
- Each tennis, table tennis and badminton booking will only have one booking page.
- This change does not apply to squash court bookings, which will have American and English court options, listed within the booking page as tabs.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our Customer and Membership Services kiosk or email email@example.com
Current U of T students and members may book badminton courts online at recreation.utoronto.ca. Court bookings are only available online. Court bookings are limited to ONE per day. You may not book more than one court at the same time.
All individuals must sign in for their court booking at the turnstiles. Please inform the staff working the desk you need to sign in for a court booking prior to scanning your card and then follow their instructions to ensure you are signed in. Failure to check in for a court booking will be considered a no-show.
Athletic Centre (55 Harbord St., Toronto) - Upper Gym
Students: Current students paying incidental fees can access this programming at no additional cost.
Members: Anyone who has a current one- or four-month membership
Schedule & Important Information
Winter 2024 Schedule - Begins January 3
- February 23: No badminton from 3-4pm or 10pm-11pm
- February 24: No badminton
- February 27: No badminton from 3-4pm
- March 1: No Badminton from 9am-3pm
- March 16: No Badminton from 9am-5pm
- March 29: No badminton drop-in
- March 9: Exams Start
- Participants are asked to wear comfortable and appropriate athletic attire while joining in drop-in activities. Athletic shoes with non-marking soles are required in all drop-in activity areas
- Closed-toed, activity-appropriate footwear is required. Please make sure shoes are free of debris before entering the facility
- Socks, barefoot and back-less shoes will not be allowed at anytime
- A shirt is required during all drop-in activities
- Jeans and dress pants are not permitted
- Sport & Rec staff has final say in determining appropriate clothing
- Racquets and birdies will be available to rent for $2.00 + HST from the Athletic Centre equipment counter - but purchased from the Main Office.
- Individuals are limited to 2 racquet rentals at once and must be rented just before your booking, used during your booking in our facility, and returned immediately afterwards
- Games are limited to a maximum of a 2x2
- No playing between courts or on the sidelines
- A single individual is responsible for booking a court and must be playing during their booking. An additional 5 individuals may accompany them for the booking slot, with 2 players waiting on the benches to sub in.
- Players may only book one court at a time for a maximum of 1 bookings per day
- Bags and backpacks are not allowed in the Upper Gym. Only single racquet cases are allowed.
- Players should only enter the gym shortly before their scheduled booking
- Please review the Athletic Centre Field House Rights and Responsibilities before participating in drop-in programs
- If you do not arrive by 15 minutes past your booking slot your court may be given away
If you want to book a court online follow these steps:
- Go to https://recreation.utoronto.ca/ and click on the court reservation icon.
- You will be asked to sign in: students, faculty and staff will use the long blue UTORID button to login. All community members, including alumni members, will need to create a new account for the new website. Accounts created in the previous system will no longer work.
- From the menu on the left side of the screen - choose the type of court you would like to book: Squash, Table Tennis. Ensure you are choosing the courts labeled as AC-Sport&Rec.
- When the courts are available a clickable "Reserve" button will appear under a specific court number. Click on "Reserve" on the time and court you want to reserve.
- Click the "Reserve Now" button that pops up.Your booking is complete and you will be sent an email confirmation to the email address on your account.
If you wish to cancel your court booking follow these steps:
- While signed in to https://recreation.utoronto.ca/ click your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- In the drop down menu that appears choose "Profile".
- Choose "Court Bookings" from the left hand menu.
- Locate the booking you wish to cancel from the list and press the "Cancel" button.
- Click on the "Remove Booking" button on the resulting pop-up.